Company: Puget Sound Energy
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Puget Sound Energy is looking to grow our community with top
talented individuals like you! With our rapidly growing, award
winning energy efficiency programs, our pathway to an exciting and
innovative future is now.
PSE'sVice President of Operationsteam is looking for qualified
candidates to fill anopenEngineer IIIposition!
Specific details regarding the work arrangements for this position
will be discussed in further detail during the interview
The Substation Controls Design team is looking for an Engineer to
join our team. This engineer will be responsible for designing
controls systems for substations containing voltages of 12kV and
Provides professional engineering service and support in the
planning, construction, operation, maintenance, and analysis of PSE
facilities and assets. Schedules and coordinates major segments of
complex projects to meet cost and time objectives. Reviews design
and documentation to ensure compliance with PSE expectations.
Interprets and applies existing guidelines and engineering
principles, practices, and theories toward the completion of
assignments involving a substantial degree of complexity, with many
interrelated elements requiring considerations not previously
encountered. Supports the continued development of PSE's
engineering workforce by sharing knowledge with others. Supports
emergency response operations when needed.
Upholds the safety compliance standards inherent in PSE's operating
and/or field procedures related to work responsibilities. Promotes
and supports a culture of total safety.
This position may be subject to random DOT drug and/or alcohol
Demonstrates commitment to conduct business honestly, ethically and
consistent with our core values and Code of Conduct. Ensures duties
are performed in accordance with all regulatory compliance
- Interprets and/or modifies available guidelines for application
to existing problems or processes.
- Prepares complex designs, standards, studies and
- Provides a detailed design review of internal or external
- Prepares cost estimates and evaluations for project
alternatives with minimal supervision.
- Plans and develops project budgets with appropriate
- Ensures compliance with codes, standards, and design,
operation, and maintenance requirements.
- Identifies potential areas of weakness with assigned work, and
initiate corrective action.
- Documents and shares work with others to strengthen the depth
and breadth of skills within the department's engineering
- Ensures that problem solutions are tailored to PSE's business
- Supports emergency response work as requested including
immediate and extended restoration efforts driven by weather and
other system failures.
- May lead or coordinate the work of junior engineers,
engineering assistants, field technicians, and others who assist on
specific projects. (This includes contractor/consultants.)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science degree or PE license in electrical,
mechanical, civil or other appropriate engineering field.
- Substantial experience in planning, design, specification
preparation, technical field work, project cost estimating and
scheduling (typically achieved after 5 or more years practice as a
degreed engineer). Years of acquired experience is provided as a
guide and alone does not constitute readiness for job level as
individual's skill acquisition rates can vary
- Demonstrated organization, documentation, prioritization, and
project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Utility experience designing protection and control systems for
12kV and above substations in main with transfer, ring and
breaker-and-a-half bus configurations.
- Experience specifying, designing and integrating controls
systems for utility scale battery storage systems.
- Experience interfacing with SCADA and EMS systems.
- Knowledge and experience designing substations control systems
using IEC 61850.
- Working knowledge of NERC CIP standards and compliance
- Experience in CAD software
- Demonstrated experience training and mentoring newer protection
and controls engineers.
- Experience working in the utility industry.
- Familiar with codes and equipment utilized in the design and
operation of utility systems.
- Possession of a Professional Engineering license.
- Knowledge of engineering economics and utility accounting
- Experience working on complex engineering projects.
This position is posted at three different levels: Engineer I
(3104), Engineer II (3101), and Engineer III (3098). Please apply
to the position that most closely matches your skills and level of
At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them
opportunities to excel. We offer a competitive compensation and
The pay range for this position is$85,000.00 -$141,500.00, and this
position is eligible for annual goals based incentive bonuses.
PSE offers a suite of benefits to our employees. Employees are
eligible for medical, dental, vision, basic life, and short- and
long-term disability insurance. There are additional voluntary
options of supplemental life insurance, accidental death and
dismemberment insurance, flexible spending accounts for health care
and dependent daycare, and an Employee assistance program (EAP).
For long term savings, PSE offers a 401(k) investment option and a
cash balance retirement plan. Employees will also receive Paid Time
Off (PTO) and Paid Holidays throughout the calendar year.Detailed
benefit overviews can be found on our Career page - Why Work For Us
Families and businesses depend on PSE to provide the energy they
need to pursue their dreams. Our steadfast commitment to serving
Washington communities with safe, dependable and efficient energy
started in 1873. Today we're building the Northwest's energy future
through efforts like our award winning energy efficiency programs
and our leadership in renewable energy.
At PSE we value and respect our employees and provide them
opportunities to excel. We offer an expansive pay package that
includes competitive compensation, annual goals-based incentive
bonuses, comprehensive benefits, 401(K), a company paid retirement
pension plan, and an employee assistance and wellness program.
Puget Sound Energy is committed to providing equal employment
opportunity to all qualified applicants. We do not discriminate on
the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status
or presence of a disability that with or without reasonable
accommodation does not prevent performance of the essential
functions of the job, or any other category prohibited by local,
state or federal law.
Should you have a disability that requires assistance and/or
reasonable accommodation with the job application process, please
contact the Human Resources Staffing department at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Keywords: Puget Sound Energy, Kent , Engineer III, Engineering , Kent, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!