Company: The Seattle Times
Posted on: January 27, 2023
The Seattle Times, the Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper,is
looking for an experiencedjourney-levelPress Operator. On this
team, you will prepare the press for standard printing projects by
operating a cylinder-type printing press. In addition, you will be
asked to verify size, color, and type of paper and color of ink for
each job order. You should be comfortable directing and overseeing
a print job while evaluating and assisting direct reports and crew
members. In addition, you will be responsible for comparing printed
product to proofs for quality assurance, adjusting where needed to
ensure compliance with standards for customer approved samples.
Schedule: This position requires an individual to work Tuesday
through Saturday during the day shift. Responsibilities
- Inspects printed sheet visually during the production run and
corrects the ink and water balance as needed. Uses measuring
equipment (i.e. densitometer, loupe, line gauge, etc.) to measure
- Registers forms and mixes colors.
- Cleans inking rollers with solvent and replaces them in
- Adjusts controls to regulate volume of ink to achieve target
and color values.
- Packs impression cylinder with packing.
- Adjusts press controls, inking fountains, and automatic
feeders, and repacks cylinder with packing to equalize uneven areas
- Performs preventative maintenance as required.
- Runs press in place of operator when necessary.
- Maintains a constant color-match to color proofs or customer
approved samples. Qualifications
- Experience: Two to three years related experience or the
completion of a recognized apprenticeship program.
- Education: High school diploma or general education degree
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or
employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of
measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete
variables in standardized situations.
- Able to regularly stand, walk, and talk or hear.
- Able to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. Compensation The
full salary range for this position is $27.21 to $33.41 per hour.
- Medical and dental insurance
- Employee assistance program and wellness bank
- Optional life,AD&D, short-term disability,and long-term
- 401(k) plan with employer contribution
- 2 weeks of vacation per year, increasing to 4 weeks after 4
- Sick pay accrues at a rate of .025 hour per hour worked
- 6 paid holidays and 4 personal paid days off
- Complementary Seattle Times subscription
- Parental leave up to 6 months Please Note: This position
requires you to join a union and pay ongoing union dues each month.
In addition, you will be required to undergo a pre-employment drug
screen for controlled substances (excludes cannabis)once an offer
has been made. Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its
tradition as a family-owned, Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper that
cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant
news. We serve the Pacific Northwest with thoughtful, independent
journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a
media solutions company, we combine cutting-edge digital
capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected
traditional media with an established audience of 2.1 million. At
The Seattle Times, you'll find work that matters. If you need
assistance to accommodate a disability, please contact Human
Resources at email@example.com and provide a description of
the reasonable accommodation(s) needed. Powered by JazzHR
Keywords: The Seattle Times, Kent , Press Operator, Other , Kent, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!